Kirk Marchand P.E. will be leading Part I of an SEI webinar June 8, 2016, on the topic of ASCE 59-11, Blast Protection of Buildings. Aldo McKay, P.E. will be continuing with Part II on June 22, 2016.
Kirk is a Senior Principal at Protection Engineering Consultants with over 35 years of experience in fields related to the response of structures and mechanical systems to severe transient loads. Kirk has performed research and managed small and large-scale projects in facility and building security, blast-resistant design and analysis, threat assessment and vulnerability analysis, and security engineering for government agencies and commercial enterprises. His experience includes design, analysis, and detailing of steel components and structural systems. Kirk has supported the DoD in the development of standards and guidance related to design of facilities to mitigate the effects of terrorist attacks. He participated in the development of UFC 4-023-03 Design of Buildings to Resist Progressive Collapse (January 2005). Kirk has held key leadership positions at Walter P. Moore, Applied Research Associates, and Southwest Research Institute, and has served as an instructor for numerous short courses and seminars. A graduate of Texas A&M University, he began his career as an active duty U.S. Army Corps of Engineers officer and research engineer
Webinar Purpose and Background
Buildings may be deliberately attacked with explosive weapons or accidentally exposed to industrial deflagrations and detonations. Recent events have shown that the terrorist threat has not diminished.
ASCE/SEI 59-11 is an open-source reference that can be used to design buildings from deliberate or accidental explosions. This webinar familiarizes engineers and architects with the general topic of blast design of buildings and the specific topic of applying 59-11 to building design.
Primary Topics of Discussion
- Intent and application of 59-11 Blast Protection of Buildings
- Explosions and blast loads
- Design considerations for mitigation of blast effects on buildings
- Building structure and façade response to blast
- Become familiar with ASCE/SEI 59-11
- Understand blast and its effect on structures
- Cognize performance criteria and their importance
- Recognize risk considerations
- Identify additional resources for blast design of buildings
- Understand how explosive loads are created and applied to a building
- Learn the basics and objectives of blast-resistant design
- Understand the 59-11 approach
- Acquire references and list of resources for blast protection of buildings
- Structural engineers
- Planners and general contractors
- Government officials
- Overview of 59-11
- Physics of explosions and calculation of blast loads (Chapter 4)
- Design considerations (risk assessment, reduction, acceptance) (Chapter 2)
- Structural/façade response and performance criteria (Chapter 3)
More Information and Registration can be found here.